1½ -2 cups mashed potato
1 small shallot, minced
1-2 tbsp. frozen peas
¼-½ cup seaweed
1 tsp. finely chopped green chilli
1 tsp. garam masala
½ tsp. ground turmeric
Salt and pepper
An accompaniment to a fish dish, this recipe can utilize many seaweed species, although tough species will require chopping or shredding and pre-cooking before being incorporated within the potato. Delicate seaweeds such as gutweed and sea lettuce present little problem, as will wakame.
• Place the mashed potato in a bowl.
• Cook the peas in a little water till tender, then drain well and add to the mash.
• Add the seaweed, onion and spices to the bowl and mix through with a fork. Add seasoning as required.
• Take heaped tablespoons of the mixture and form into flat patties.
• Put some oil in the bottom of a frying pan and carefully fry the patties at a medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden. Handle carefully as the patties are quite fragile.